“There is a kind of day that is very grey or brown . . . it is a mood or tone I often feel on a dreary day, waiting for a taxi before it rains or going to some kind of daily routine . . . It’s the experience of being on the street in open space, or just inside ourselves. What do we feel, what do we choose to notice and sense on a given day? It’s about the internal and external landscape of the place as I experience it.”

From "Taking note", by Nicholas Laughlin, in the August 2006 Caribbean Review of Books

Thursday, May 10, 2007

one narrative thread

narrative-sequence-1

As I had said, the word “literary” could imply/require a narrative pursuit and that may limit me or demand a purpose or some kind of accountability. I do not really want to have a way through this or an idea of a way. I feel adrift, a bit lost and I am looking for and at signs. I do not want to frustrate the viewer. I am searching for empathy.
But images in sequence – flexible sequences - ones that are not fixed or overly determined feels more expansive. It feels like saying some thing twice or again the following day in another conversation and realizing some connection or what the idea was really about.
I will put forward one thread that I noticed or that just occurred to me while looking at the images. It is not new to my thoughts as someone who grew up here in the 60’s and 70’s though.
The thought of see-through jerseys, gun barrels and bodies has returned yet again. The Baldheaded jersey man operates associatively like some kind of distorted Papa Bois in the ideological forest. There was a temptation to go into the public archives to find that front-page image of the shot young woman on the forest floor but its reshaping and fluidity in memory seemed to be more capable in some way of saying something as well. It could become a way of owning that memory or feeling that I observed in those a little older than myself, then, of youthful dreams - that “Third-World-ism” of the era and in which the term “political disturbance” was used as if what is going around you – the stagnation was a normal or an acceptable or given political operation.
The “open drawers” responds to one columnist’s suggestion that our current political parties are simply opportunistic sieges on the state’s cash register by competing social cliques/groups.
So this “open drawers” seems to fit between two predicaments or characterizations that keep coming up. “Afro-Ophelia” makes a link between the Pre-Raphaelite image of Ophelia in my Nelson Reader, the book through which formal English was conveyed to me, and the front page images of the dailies which showed the dead body of a young woman who was part of a political group called NUFF. The other woman who is called “The Venus of Avianca” or “21 years and Over” brings up another related story of consumption and cash flow as we face yet another “boom.”

C.C.

No comments: